Recipe :: Broccoli Rice Casserole
This recipe isn’t necessarily the healthiest because of the cheese…but, I was craving starch, cheese and vegetables and what’s better than broccoli rice casserole to quench that need? Here’s my take on a classic:
½ cup gouda cheese (shredded)
½ cup fontina cheese (shredded)
½ cup sharp white cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3 large broccoli crowns
2 cups uncooked brown rice
salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste
- Cook brown rice according to cooking directions on package.
- Wash and cut florets off of broccoli crown. In a steamer, steam broccoli for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and shock with cold water and/or ice. This stops the cooking process and helps to preserve some of the bright color.
- Roughly chop the broccoli into smaller pieces and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together warm rice, cream of mushroom soup, gouda cheese, fontina cheese and chopped broccoli. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a baking pan/dish. Spread white cheddar cheese on top of mixture evenly.
- Cover and place in a pre-heated oven at 350˚F for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, uncover and continue baking for 15-20 minutes or until top is brown and remove from oven. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.